Mussoorie Hill Station - Popular As Queen Of The Hills - Uttarakhand - India
Mussoorie is situated at the foothills of the Himalayas and is known as the Queen of the Hills. Mussoorie is a wonderful hill station in Indian State of Uttarakhand situated at a height of 2005 mts above the sea level and Located at a distance of 35 kms from Dehradun.
Location: 35 kms from Dehradun Uttarakhand India
Area: 65 sq km
Pin Code: 248179
Std Code: 013563
Altitude: 2005.5 Meters or 6950 Feet Above Sea Level
Temperature: In Summer : Max 27 C. Min 10 C and In Winter Max 15 C. Min 3 C
Snowfall Time: Every year between December and February
Best Season: March to June, September to November and December to January
Clothing Required: In Summer Light Wollen In Winter Heavy Wollen
Language: Hindi, Gharwali
Best Time To Visit Mussoorie - Weather At Mussoorie
The summer season start from March to June. The weather is quite pleasant during this time of the year and the average temperature is around 37° C. In Mussoorie monsoon start from July to September. This is a time when landslides are common. Tourists travelling to Mussoorie by road during monsoon should check for weather updates regularly before hitting the road. Can be heavy rainfall in this season so the prices of hotels tend to drop. Some people like to travel to the hill station at this time because hotel prices drop down so you can find great deals. Winter in Mussoorie begins in October and goes on till the end of February. Temperatures during winter are really low, accompanied by moderate snowfall. At times, the temperature even goes below 0° C.
Tourist Attractions At Mussoorie
- Gun Hill: As the second highest peak in Mussoorie. Gun Hill offers a beautiful panoramic view of the Himalayan ranges namely Bunderpunch, Srikantha, Pithwara and Gangotri group etc.
- Municipal Garden: It is located at a distance of 4kms by cycle rickshaw, pony or by car and only 2 kms on foot via Waverly Convent Road.
- Kempty Fall: Highest Peak of Mussoorie near Lal Tibba. It is the most popular tourist spots near Mussoorie; the waterfall plunges its way down from about 40 ft high. Snow view from this spot is exhilarating.
- Camel's Back Road: Sunset view of the Himalayas is superb. It is a stretch of approximately 3 km long road from Library point to Kulri Bazaar.
- Jharipani Fall: Visitors can go by bus or by car upto 7 kms to Jharipani from where the fall is 1.5 kms on foot.
- Bhatta Fall: 7 kms from Mussoorie on Mussoorie-Dehradun road. From Mussoorie one can access this place by hiring a taxi or take a bus till Balta Village.
- Nag Devta Temple: It Provies a charming view of Doon Valley as well as of Mussoorie.
- Mussoorie Lake: A newly developed picnic spot, situated on Mussoorie- Dehradun road.
- Van Chetna Kendra: The main attraction is the wildilife of the park like Ghurar, Kanankar, Himalayan Peacock, Monal etc.
- Sir George Everest House: First Surveyor General of India, Who had his offce and residence here.
- Jwalaji Temple: The Temple is located atop the Benog Hill and has a deity of Mata Durga. 9 kms to the west of Mussoorie and at an altitude of 2104 mtrs has an idol of Mata Durga in it.
- Clous End: The bungalow built in 1838 by a British Major was one of the First Four buildings of Mussoorie.
- Lal Tibba: The highest point in Mussoorie, the hill is also referred as Depot Hill.
- Happy Valley: The valley is well known for Tibetan Buddhist temple.
- The Christ Church: Built in 1836 the church is believed to be the oldest church in Himalayas.
Shopping At Mussoorie
- The Mall: It's the main shopping location situated at the center of Mussoorie. Shopping the main attractions of the mall and other are video game parlours, restaurants, skating ring, windy point.
- Gandhi Chowk: Located at Mall Road is a great place to stop over and indulge in some delightful shopping.
- Landour Bazaar: The bazaar is situated on a steep slope and is a cantonment area.
- Sisters Bazaar: The bazaar got its name from the Nuns who served as nurses in the British dormitories in this area.
Restaurants At Mussoorie
Mussoorie, being a popular tourist destination has a platter from numerous cuisines to offer. Here is the list of some popular and famous Restaurants At Mussoorie where you can enjoy food.
- Little Llama Cafe
- Chic Chocolate
- Cafe By The Way
- Lovely Omelette Centre
- Cafe De Tavern
- Cafe Ivy
- The Tavern
- Momos Tibetan Restaurant
- Tip Top Tea Shop, Char Dukan
Hotels At Mussoorie
There are several budget, mid range and luxury hotels and resorts in Mussoorie. Mussoorie offers accommodation options ranging from luxury Hotels and hill resorts in Mussoorie and medium-priced Economy hotels in Mussoorie. Here is the list of some famous and popular Hotels of Mussoorie where you can stay.
- JW Marriott Mussoorie Walnut Grove Resort & Spa
- Jaypee Residency Manor
- Fortune The Savoy
- Hotel Padmini Nivas
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Mussoorie
- Fortune Resort Grace
- The Golden Palms Hotel & Spa, Sylverton
- Rokeby Manor
- Hotel Vishnu Palace
- Royal Orchid Fort Resort, Mussoorie
- Hotel Madhuban Highlands
How to Reach Mussoorie
The nearest airport is Jolly Grant airport Dehradun just 35 km from Massoorie. Further from Jolly grant you may reach Mussoorie through taxis and buses.
The nearest railhead is at Dehradun, which has trains plying to and from Delhi, Mumbai and Calcutta and other parts of India.
UP Roadways operates regular bus trips from Simla. Haridwar and Delhi to Dehradun from Dehradun to Mussoorie.