Gulmarg Hill Station - The Meadow Of Flowers - Jammu and Kashmir - India
Gulmarg is one of the beautiful place that located in Kashmir valley Baramulla district in Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is situated at 52 Km to the south west of capital Srinagar. Then natural beauty of Gulmarg has attracted tourists since long. Gulmarg is a popular skiing destination of india.
Location: 57 kilometers from Srinagar City in Jammu and Kashmir India
Known As: Meadow of Flowers
Major Attractions: Khilanmarg, Affarwat Alpather Lake, Seven Spring s
Famous For: Winter Sports, Ski Resort and Highest Golf Course in World
Area: 3.5 km long; 1km wide
Altitude: 2730 meters
State: Jammu and Kashmir
Languages: Kashmiri and Hindi
Best season: Throughout the year.
Clothing: In Summer Light woollens and In winter Heavy woollens
Gulmarg Gondola Ride
Gulmarg Gondola is the largest and the longest cable car projects in the world. For a fun filled ride of a most unusual kind, Gulmarg's newly constructed Gondola lift from high above Gulmarg. The newly constructed Gondola lift offers a ride high above the mountains and pine-clad slopes of the region and provides for an attractive view of Gulmarg. There are three types of ride at Gulmarg Gondola. One is Phase-1 which is ride from Gulmarg to Kungdoor, second is Phase-2 which is ride from Kungdoor to Aparwath and third is Chair Lift which is ride from Kungdori to Marry Shoulder. There are diffrent tickets charge available for childrens and adults. In some rides childrens are not allowed. The best and longest ski run of 3 kilometres in Gulmarg is accessed by the Gondola Cable Car Lift.
Best Time To Visit Gulmarg - Weather At Gulmarg
Weather At Gulmarg In October to February:
During October to February winter season stat at Gulmarg. Sometime the temperature reaches to zero degree in starting of November. During this season Skiing, snowboarding options are good also many honeymoon couples come to visit Gulmarg in this season . From December to February you can see enough snowfall. In this season visiters must required heavy woollens clothes because the temperature can drop down till -4 degree Celsius.
Weather At Gulmarg In March to June:
From March to June summer season start in Gulmarg. It is the best time for seetourist attractions in Gulmarg. The temperature is nearly 29 degree Celsius. This time is also ideal for all sightseeing and adventure activities.
Weather At Gulmarg In July to September:
Monsoon season starts in the month of July. Rains are not that heavy in Gulmarg. This season known as Off season so people often visit during this time because many hotels offer attractive deals during this time.
Tourist Attractions At Gulmarg
Gulmarg is one of the most stunning hill stations in India. Here is the some tourist attractions at Gulmarg with short information.
- Gondola Ride: Located about 1 km from the main bus stand.
- Khilanmarg : Popular for flowers in the spring.
- Snow Sports: Gulmarg a popular destination for snow sports in India. Best time to visit is for skiing is in months of January to March.
- Ferozpore Nallah: Near the Bahan River at a popular picnic spot known as 'waters meet'.
- Alpather Lake: Located at a distance of 13 km from Gulmarg.
- Gulmarg Biosphere Reserves: The reserve area is located at a distance of 48-km from Srinagar, to its southwest.
- Baba Reshi Shrine: Built in 1480, the Shrine or Ziarat is a sacred mosque located in the Gulmarg valley.
- Pattan: Famous as the main market for cattle, fruits and cotton.
- St Mary's Church: Constructed around 150 year back by the British, the holy church is among the famous places in Gulmarg. The church is located at the heart of the town.
- Nagin Valley: Popular attraction of Gulmarg which was opened for visitors after 22 years in 2012.
- Maharani Temple: Built in 1915 the temple is well known as Mohineshwar Shivalalaya dedicated to Hindu Lord Shiva.
- Apharwat Peak: The perfect place for skiling lovers.
- Gulmarg Golf Club: The Gulmarg Golf Club was established in 1911 by the British.
- The Ningli Nallah: 8-km from Gulmarg is a popular valley.
Shopping At Gulmarg
Gulmarg is best place for buy shawls, wraps, silk carpets, handicrafts and stone jewelry. Khan Cloth House and Main market both are best places to buy something. There are no many shopping option at Gulmarg but you can shop from Srinagar. Lal Chowk, Badshah Chowk and Polo View area are the best places to shop in Shrinagar.
Restaurants At Gulmarg
Here is the list of some restaurants which are located at Gulmarg from where you can eat.
- Hotel Highlands Park
- Nedous Dining Room
- Alpine lounge
- Big Bite Fast Food
Hotels At Gulmarg
Here is the list of some Hotels which are located at Gulmarg from where you can stay.
- The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa
- The Vintage Gulmarg
- Hotel Hilltop
- Royal Park Hotel
- Welcome Hotel Gulmarg
- Heevan Retreat Gulmarg
- Hotel Pine Spring
- Hotel Affarwat
- The Meadows Resorts and Hotels
How to Reach Gulmarg
The nearest Airport is situated in Badgam District, which is well connected with all the major cities of the country.
The nearest railhead is at Jammu.
Gulmarg is 56 kms from Srinagar. Jammu & Kashmir SRTC operates regular deluxe and ordinary bus services from Srinagar. The journey from Srinagar to Gulmarg takes approximately 2 hours in bus. The road to Gulmarg is very beautiful and is lined with popular trees all through.