Dharamshala Hill Station - Also Known As Little Lhasa - Himachal Pradesh - India
Dharamsala situated on the high slopes of the Kangra Valley backdrop of the amazing Dhauladhar mountain ranges in the lower Himalayas in Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Dharamshala Hill Station is one of the most famous and beautiful hill resorts of India. Dharamshala is also known as Little Lhasa.
Location: Indian state of Himachal Pradesh
State: Himachal Pradesh
Area: 5739 sq. km
Altitude: Between 1250 m to 2000 m
Best Time to Visit: Mid May to Mid October.
STD Code: 01892
Languages Spoken: Hindi, Punjabi, English and Pahari.
Best Time To Visit Dharamshala - Weather At Dharamshala
Summer Season at Dharamshala
- Timing: March to June
- Temperature: 20°C - 35°C
Summer season are perfect for a trip to Dharamshala because the temperatures lies between 22°C and 35°C in this season. It’s also the best time for trekking. Most tourists prefer going to Dharamshala at this time so it is the huge crowed season. Buddhist Losar Festival falls between February or March. so it also good idea to plan going to Dharamshala and arround it.
Monsoon Season at Dharamshala
- Timing: July to Sep
- Temperature: 18°C - 22°C
July to September is the monsoon season which is the time for you when the mountains are at their greenest so it is the best for lovers and honeymooners . Sometime because of heavy continuous rainfall road blocks and traveling it not easy for tourist. After Rains stop likely arround September the weather is best for sightseeing as well as other adventure activities such as trekking.
Winter Season at Dharamshala
- Timing: Dec to Fab
- Temperature: 4°C - 7°C
You can enjoy the snowfall with white mountains in winter season it is also the best time to visit Dharamshala. Sometime the temperature tends to dip below -1 °C. Don't forget to brings lots of woolens and protection against this season.
Tourist Attractions At Dharamshala
- Mcleod Ganj: Famous for the Buddha temple and one of the major centre for Tibetan Culture.
- Chamunda Devi: Located at 15 km from Dharamshala is the famous temple of Chamunda Devi is dedicated to the Goddess Chamunda Devi.
- St. John'S Church: Located at 7 km from Dharamsala, between Forsyth Ganj and Mcleod Ganj.
- Library of Tibetan Works and Archives (LTWA): Situated at McLeodganj town of Dharamsala. It was founded by the 14th Dalai Lama.
- Namgyal Monastery: Sonam Gyatso the third Dalai Lama founded Namgyal Monastery in the year 1575.
- Norbulingka Institute: Situated at a distance of 4 km from Dharamsala.
- Kangra Fort: Popular attraction of Dharamshala.
- War Memorial: Remeamber for martyrs lost their lives in Indo China war of 1962, Indo-Pak wars of 1947, 1965 and 1971 and UN peace operations.
- Nurpur Fort : Located at 66 km from Dharamsala built by Moghul.
- Dall Lake : Situated 11 kms away from the town one of the best picnic spot surrounded by fir trees.
- Venur: Venur 30 kms from Dharamsala is famous for the Gomateshwara statue built in 1605 AD by an Ajila Prince.
- The Kangra Art Museum : Collection of jewellery, woodcarving objects and traditional embroidered Kangra costumes.
- Dharmkot : Just 11-km away from Dharamsala.
- Moodabidri : Built in 1430 AD.
- Pong Lake Sanctuary : Located at 115 km from Dharamsala on the Beas River.
Shopping At Dharamshala
- Kotwali Bazar: Famous for shopping tibetan accessories like trinkets, mandala paintings, thangkas, Tibetan dresses, traditional jewelry, woolen shawls, trousers, slippers, prayer flags,prayer wheel and sand gift items.
- Mcleodganj: From here you can buy tibetan handicrafts, carpets.
- The Green Shop: This market organise by tibetan Welfare Office also famous for shopping.
Restaurants At Dharamshala
Here is the list of some Restaurants located At Dharamshala from where you can eat.
- Tibet Kitchen
- Woeser Bakery
- Moonpeak Espresso
- Jimmy's Italian Kitchen
- Nick's Italian Kitchen
- Crepe Pancake Hut
- Lobsang's Four Seasons Cafe
- Snow Lion Restaurant
- Carpe Diem
Hotels At Dharamshala
Here is the list of some Hotels located At Dharamshala from where you can stay.
- Fortune Park Moksha
- Pink House
- M Hotel & Restaurant
- Bella Heights
- The Exotica Dharamshala
- Hotel Inclover
- Hotel Shivani International
- Hotel Bhagsu - HPTDC
- Villa Paradiso
How to Reach Dharamshala
By Air :
Nearest airport at Gaggal which is about 12 km from Dharamsala.
By Rail :
Nearest Railhead is Pathankot situated at 85 km from Dharamsala.
By Road :
Dharamsala is well connected by all weather metalled road to all major towns nearby.